Sunday, December 18, 2005

The 94th Post!!!

So we draw closer and closer to 100.... In any case, this is more of an 'Ideas' page for the 'Niddies. Took MANY screen caps of Alien stuff from Alien, Aliens, Alien3, Alien: Ressurrection AND Aliens vs Predator to get a butt load of ideas (almost 100MB worth of bmp pics). Also had a talk with my resident 'Nid expert Arjan and tossed around a few ideas as well. So I'll TRY and run through these ideas..

Hive Tyrant aka Queen

- Thinking Ill be needing some of the old 3rd Ed Tyrant bits, namely the head, for her crown section. Another idea is to use the Zoanthrope head as well for the basis. The only DOWNSIDE is that both I believe have 'grinning' looks, which is ok, but Im not sure if I want a grinning Queen or a mouth open Queen with her inner mouth shooting out. Havent a clue how Im going to do the crown yet, as the 3rd ed Tyrant has a small crown. Hrmm, maybe I should invest in some thin plasticard and GS my own grown....

- An idea after browsing Warpshadow was to also use the carnifex as a base and then build up the Queen from that. Although the only downside is, the Carnifex body is rather 'chunky' and the Queen isnt exactly a 'beefy' character.

*EDIT*
- Possible use of the Extended Carapace Biomorph for added protection.
- Extension of Crown using GS (using plasticard as a basis for crown).

Tyrant Guard aka Royal Guard

- Pretty straight forward, although I might try and do some minor conversions on these dudes (other than the head) so they look a tad bit different.

Warrior Brood aka Warrior Drones(?)

- Heh, still working on the naming convention >.< style="font-weight: bold;">

*EDIT*
- Extended Carpace


Genestealers aka Soldier Drones(?)

- Once again, naming will be interesting... I had a look on Warpshadow and saw some interesting conversions, namely one that only utilized ONE set of arms (and not two). An interesting idea for sure, especially since I dont want to overload on the biomorphs for these guys.


*EDIT*

- Extended Carapace (again!!)
- Scything Talons Biomorph

Hormagaunt Brood aka Worker Drones(?)

- Naming as always.. But it seems quite ok thus far. These dudes like the other stuff will get the head treatment. Probably thinking about doing up some stuff with their bases to give some added appearance and hopefully make them alot more terrifying.

*EDIT*

- Toxin Sacs OR Adrenal Gland (I)....

Ripper Swarm aka Eggs, Face Huggers and Chest Bursters

- Nothing too difficult here, although alot of my ideas have come in for these guys. Eggs, are pretty self explanetory, although Id prefer not to be rolling out eggs from GS by hand, so Im trying to think of a suitable 'round' object that I can layer GS over. Also thinking about having the occasional egg that is some what translucent so you can see the face hugger inside.

- Face Huggers wise, two ideas thus far. One is an idea off from Hive Fleet Moloch, utilizing an adrenal gland with an added tail and legs (using random parts of weapons, and genestealer hands). Another idea, especially focusing on the 'sac' areas is to use on of the current bio-weapons (i know what it looks like, not sure WHAT it is, although after checking, I think its the barbed strangler). The only downside to this one is the sacs from the weapon looked rather large, so Id either use them to make a 'super face hugger' OR cut the sac in half (which didnt look too good) and then use that on perhaps an adrenal gland 'body'.

- Chest Bursters are easy.. use the Ripper body and flatten the chitin chrest and thats about it...

Ravener Brood aka ???

- Havent got an 'Alien' name for this brood yet, but the head idea applies for this set. Also considering using warriors to convert up these babies.

Carnifex aka ???

- HECK KNOWS what Ill be calling these dudes... Keeping the Carnifex options at a minimal (although I listed alot of biomorphs that suited). Since Rending claws are some what a mute point on a Monstrous Creature, any carnifex will be decked out with two pairs of scything talons, although the crushing claws IS tempting... May make these arms modular for the sake of argument. Otherwise, not alot of other stuff.. Adrenal Gland for WS, and the possibility of the mace or scythe tail. Although after watching Aliens and Aliens vs Predator, leaning towards the mace tail (but with a bladed end) since the Queen only really used her tail as a 'stabbing' weapon.

*EDIT*

- Possible use of Extended Carapace


Notes

- Trying to keep biomorphs to a minium where I can, without being TOO basic... Obviously being Alien themed, I know these guys will be prone to being shot to hell, and I can understand that, so Im not trying to go improving saving throws too often, cos they just get shot up regardless.

- Basing wise Im looking at making it like a 'nest' base with the base being covered in random coils and stuff like a nest would look like, as well as try and apply that weird 'resin' look. Only downside is, my options arent too great for either the resin effect or mucous effect... One option is to use craft glue, but the consistency issue comes to mind. I thought about mixing it with liquid super glue, which MAY work.. On the super glue note, I could get like paste super glue and pray that works. Other options are also to use epoxy resin, but that could be more hassle than its worth. Was also thinking if there was a way to HARDEN KY Jelly (guessing mixing glue into it would work). Since KY Jelly was the primary substance to make the slime/drool effect in Aliens.

*EDIT*

- I had a review of some of the weapons, at least the SM weapons and thinking about what other armies I go against and there isnt a BIG need to give the Extended Carpace Biomorph to Carnies and Tyrants due to a minimal amount of AP3 weaponry. Although there is a large amount of potential AP2 weaponry, going down to a 2+ save isnt any better than staying at a 3+. So Ill review the other armies (Necrons, Eldar, Imperial Guard, Chaos and Tau) to see what else needs to be done.


Thats about it for my 'Design Notes' for my 'Nid army. Any ideas/suggestions will be greatly appreciated and SOMEONE remind me to save this entry as a txt/doc file. Cos I would love to be able to easily access my notes, unlike my SoB notes which are buried in heck knows how many posts...




-TAS

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

'save this entry as a txt/doc file' !!

That's for the reminder.
I'd definitely consider extended carapace on the tyrants as well as on the warriors. Might go crazy on CC morphs there too. I run mine at 45pts.
Sometimes it can be worth it to give genestealers carapace (against bolters e.o.)or a toxin sac to give them even more killing power or even talons to give them another attack (haven't made my final decision yet :P).

Carapace on carni's is somewhat of a dilemma. Although it does save them from rocketwhores and other ap3 weaponry.
Hormagaunts can be run as standard, often the safest choice. But giving them a Strenght or Initiative boost can be a winning strategy for a one-off squad.

About the crown: I've seen one hell of a lot of 3rd ed tyrants where the crown was extended by using greenstuff, so that shouldn't be to big of a problem.

Rippers: haven't read the entire tactica of Rampaging Ravener on Warpshadow, but leaping can give them the edge of closing in faster.

Wings: can be an option for the nids (especially hive tyrant), but as you said: you haven't seen a flying alien yet..so maybe not.

The Angelus Sanctus said...

Thanks for the reminder ;)


Extended Carpace

- I recall from a previous discussion with you about it on Warriors, and I think we leaned towards yes to doing it (despite it being costly). The Tyrant will probably be a 50/50 as it is.

- For the Genestealers, I dont want to give them TOO many Biomorphs... I think I leaned towards the Toxin Sac'd 'Stealers. Talons aint a bad idea either, but Id prefer not to be running around on the board with 25 pt stealers...

- Carapace on the Carni is also a 50/50 since Im already running fairly cheap models.

- Hormagaunts will probably NEVER get extended carapace, but will get something for the strength or WS (I think I leaned towards Strength, so they can be more on par with Marines).

Queen Crown

- Shouldnt be a problem at all, plus I have some old calling cards, which are a fairly thin enough plastic so I can use that as the basis of the crown and build it up IF i choose to make my own.

Rippers

- Giving these babies at most the leaping biomorph, but thats about it since they are fairly cheap, plus it works out to their advantage and background since face huggers/chest bursters do tend to literally LEAP at you (or leap away from you). This is why im leaning away from wings, and it works to have Tyrant Guard for my tyrant, but at a much LATER stage, I might do a winged Tyrant depending how things go (but that doesnt mean Im going to add in shooty weaponry).


Ill edit my post to have these new ideas thrown in.



-TAS

Erwin said...

As for Warriors you'd do good to take carapace or even bolters will tear them apart.

Tirants and fexes get killed anyways when the MC concentration is low so either more of them (as AB said three fexes) or carapace those suckers.

About the stealers: If you're not gonna carapace them and you ARE going to talon and toxin sack them. PLS swarm your enemy with lots and lots of gaunts and stealers. 30 dead gaunts you can handle but once the toxin sack/ST stealers start hitting the surface it's gonna hurt.... big

Anonymous said...

As I tried to post earlier under Erwin's post(post disappeared/didn't got posted :S)

'word' at the biomatter.

The grinning of the 3rd ed Tyrant & Carnifex disturbed a lot of people..but on the other hand I did saw a hell of a lot of guys that made it look good.

The Angelus Sanctus said...

@ Erwin - Well given that you have experiened the abilities of the 'Nids first hand, Ill take your advice :D I have taken into account for Warriors having Carapace, so it isnt too bad so far.

Tyrants/Carnies we'll see how things go. Fortunately Im running the latter quite cheaply, so either take TWO of them for under 115 points each or Carapace them both. But in the end, Im not too worried, as I KNOW they will attract fire, and if I can get more broods etc on the table than my opponent has firing squads, its a case of target priority and allocation and once a single brood etc contacts them in HtH, its one less squad shooting at me.

The 'Stealers, we will see.. I dont want to go biomorphing them to hell and back, or else there is one big ass chomp out of my own army gone. Depends how the planning for the rest of the army goes, but Ill consider the option.

@ Tobias - Heh, you know what Im like. Unlike other gamers out there, I like to plan my armies and not leap in head first ;)

I agree that Bedford's Tyrant was a lil weird, but the new Tyrant just looks like a bigger Warrior, and the Bedford head DOES offer what I am after. Plus once I GS over the eyes, extend the crown and paint it black and drooly, it should look fine :P Alternatively, Ill get the new Zoanthrope and use its face... But yeah, but of over-reacting there dude :P But I do see your point.

Heh, it seems the general idea lately is to Carapace the Warriors AND 'Stealers. The former have been noted down in the brood plans, the latter not yet (only Sacs have thus been considered). The bigger ones, ehh, we'll see...


@ Arjan - Well I know what I want to do with the Tyrant head, so it shouldnt be too bad.


In other news, have my SoB test mini and another Grey Hunter almost completed (yeah I know, scary, not one model, but TWO!!). Cleaned up a Metal Ravener and could have ALMOST done some work on it could I find a Right Handed Rending Claw (or kit bash one). I could make up a right claw, but that will be on INTERESTING process... Otherwise, thats about it really.. If I get the Grey Hunter and Sister done tonight, Ill take a pic :)




-TAS

The Angelus Sanctus said...

A Quick Progress post...

- Aside from the base, the SoB test model is DONE!! The basing will be interesting to say the least. Sure I have an idea for it, but working the idea into the current way the SoB are modelled will NOT be fun....

- Aside from the 'Combat Knife/Dagger/Blade/Whatever' another Grey Hunter has been finished.. So yeah, woo, Im making progress...


-TAS

The Angelus Sanctus said...

I added in the extra points made through the comments into the main post, although the words 'extended carapace' become awfully repeatitive.. Otherwise that is done. Ill probably do up a new thread in the next day or so.


-TAS