Friday, December 16, 2005

92nd Post....

Getting ever close to the 100th post!! In any case, this is a 'Nid update (yet again). Did some of the highlights etc on the minis and so far seen some good points and bad for some of them...


1. Black undercoat/Gunmetal Metal Drybrush/Black Ink/Chainmail highlights

BIG mistake on the chainmail highlights as that has diminished the dark metal effect I wanted. However, in the future ill probably only do additional metal highlights to areas like teeth, talons, tips of claws etc but the entire body can NOT be done in metal highlights. I guess its a good thing it is still in metal as I can recycle this mini by doing a black ink over it and taking it from there.

2. Black undercoat/Gunmetal Drybrush/Black Ink/Cold Grey Highlights/Thin Black Ink/Stonewall Grey Highlights

This one came out good, and I might continue this method to do some light highlights on the 'flesh' areas on the model (only did this on the chitin areas). So for future works, Ill probably do the cold grey highlights on the model itself (dry brush?), tone it down with an inking and then apply the stonewall grey highlights to the chitin areas. Talons, teeth etc will be done probably in the way I mentioned for method 1.

3. Black undercoat/Gunmetal Drybrush/Black Ink/Flesh Ink

Now this was just a simple play around with inks and in the end it gave a nice rustic/black chrome look which I quite like. Thinking about using this method to add a slight bit of variety to units.

Anyway, Ive still got one black undercoated 'Nid left and Ive just made two more 'Nids on sticks to probably do combinations of the above schemes and see how well they work together. After that, Ill be some what out of test 'Nids, however I THINK I have a 3rd Ed fresh Ravener somewhere, so I may find it useful as my first 'Nid model.


-TAS

4 comments:

The Angelus Sanctus said...

In other news, during my sleep I remembered another website that had some really nice Alien-Themed ideas and I did a google search and actually without too much difficulty actually FOUND it!!

So my alien-themed sites are slowly growing =)



-TAS

Anonymous said...

OMG you're not seriously making the next posts count up to 100!

Good to hear that you've found a nice color combi.

@Tobias: what does he have in his list...I must help the northern fleet of course and if I can't help him..he must turn to Warpshadow.com there are about 900 members who are eager to help ^^

The Angelus Sanctus said...

Oh wait... that is DG-Matte, not GK-Matte.... If it was GK-Matte, well.. yeah... (Tobias will know what Im talking about).

Yeah, as I learned the hard way, after black inking over a boltgun drybrush, avoid any form of metallic dry brushing!! The rusty 'Nid looks pretty good, although Im not sure how well the camera will pick up on the effect.

Heck, I dont even know what Id take in a 1000pt army, let alone 500pt. Id imagine less biomorphed broods etc. Maybe throw in a 105pt Carnifex in there to be evil ^.^

Anyway, aint stayin in the lab too late tonight, so hopefully I can do a tad bit more painting tonight... And no Im not doing a numerical countdown til 100... Ill add some variety to it ;)




-TAS

The Angelus Sanctus said...

Well from what I recall, Matte isnt that bad a player, its the 'GK-Matte' that tends to be a worry!!

In any case, Tobias seems to be doing really well these days ;)