Saturday, March 19, 2005

Did some more Touching Up

I did a bit more work on that Grey Hunter from the previous image, so it doesnt look as black in some areas as it did before. I think i have done as much as i can on my fine detail brush and need to move into the finer detail brush. Then from that, i can start painting up the pelt and torso area. I also started painting up the 'rubble' parts on some bases, however im a bit lost on how to paint it so it looks 'realistic' and rubble like. It was originally undercoated in Black and i just painted over it in Cold Grey (Vallejo). I'm thinking i might try a black ink over the rubble, to pick out some of the details (if any) and then perhaps dry brush from there on. There was a technique in the How to Paint Citadel Miniatures, and if i recall correctly was detailing a dabbing? technique and that may help me give the rubble some form of texture, particularly on the small flat parts. I didnt take a pic (sorry Duregar) but i'll see how things go. It's a shame i dont have a proper bottle of black ink.

I also had a the weird thoughts of actually (sadly) making up pre-mixed paint pots. Not sure if i'd use my Vallejo paints or Citadel ones, but we shall see. The main thought that brought this about was the fact highlighting Sombre Grey (Vallejo) with Wolf Grey (Vallejo) isnt a good idea, as Wolf Grey is ALOT brighter.

Any ideas on either above points be great, as well as a few ideas for my Sisters army be terrific too. And yes, i am aware that only ONE person is currently reading this blog, but ill get around to that eventually.

Keep watchin this space, as i suspect there will be an update tomorrow.



-TAS

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris!

I really like the look of those legs (eek! ;) )!
It looks REALLY nice and even if it takes a long time I think it´s worth it!
Hate it myself, black lining, to do it that is but it works nice on models with these colours, in my opinion.

For the rubble, I have painted my 3rd Ed. plastic ruins this way: Sprayed them black - heavy dry-brush with Codex Grey (might black-ink them after this) and then a lighter dry-brush with Fortress Grey. Not very elegant but looks ok, atleast on terrain pieces.
That new spray from Citadell would be nice if you could spray it before you glue on the models as well. Or failing so, maybe find a textured paint..?

Any new ideas on the Sisters..? I think that purple or blue with gold trims looks nice.

ANd finally, maybe I should get myself a BLOG as well..? :)
Both for my re-painting project (gulp!) and the upcoming Cadians (the first 400-500p aren´t even assembled but I´m starting on the soon!).
What do you think..?

Cheers!

Tobias aka Wolf Lord Duregar

The Angelus Sanctus said...

Im glad you like how the legs are turning out Tobias. As ive told you on msn on MANY occasions, im liking how they are turning out, i just wish it wasnt a pain to do.

I'll keep that in mind with the rubble. Now i wish i hadnt painted it all over in codex grey, but i guess i can go over it with a heavy black ink to get into some of those recesses etc.

As for the Sisters, Im thinking ill have to find a way to trial that paint scheme (its actually supposed to be a light grey, not 'lavander' as ive had it described by others). I just wish i had some spare sisters models to try it on, as ill hate it if it doesnt work out lookin good in the end at all.

I think getting a blog is great. Its free and useful once you understand how it works. Plus its easy for me to PM/Email you saying, check out my blog as opposed to "ranting" on for a few paragraphs. I think the blog is handy, plus its a good way to note down ideas in general as well. So yeah, GET ONE! :P



-TAS